Banner has ‘download’ instead of ‘open’ even though app is installed
Hi! On iOS(9.3), the smart banners on Chrome, Safari and Firefox do not show the ‘Open’ button and always display the ‘Download’ button even though the app is installed. This app is still in dev mode and is not on the app store. But the part that confuses me is that when I have the ‘Always try to open in app’ option on https://dashboard.branch.io/settings/link checked, Chrome deep links to the mobile app when I click on the download button otherwise it takes me to tha app store and the other browsers(Firefox, Safari) still take me to the app store. Wondering if you guys can help.
Being public on the app store (or not) actually has no impact on any of this, so don’t worry. We should be able to get it working regardless. The ‘Always try to open in app’ option unfortunately doesn’t work correctly on iOS 9+, because of the way Apple has implemented Universal Links. You most likely have some sort of configuration issue there, so our Universal Links troubleshooting guide is a great place to start.
To get the button showing Open, you need to do the following steps:
- Ensure the app that is being tested has setDebug enabled (see: https://dev.branch.io/getting-started/integration-testing/guide/ios/#use-debug-mode-to-simulate-fresh-installs)
- Paste a link to a page with the SmartBanner code into Notes
- Uninstall the app
- Settings > General > Safari > Clear History and Website Data
- Settings > General > Safari > Advanced > Website Data > Swipe left and delete every entry
- Settings > General > Privacy > Advertising > Reset Advertising Identifier…
- Click on the link in Notes (from step 1)
- The banner should always show “Download” (when it does not, it is because clearing the Website Data was unsuccessful)
- Tap on Download
- Run the app via Xcode (serves to install it)
- Stop the app in Xcode, then launch it from the phone
- Click on the link in Notes again – the button should now show “Open” and open the app
Give these steps a try and let me know if you are still having trouble!