How to get your first 1000 users

Viewed 2618 times Updated on August 7, 2017 in Hitting 10,000 Users- Marketing
Stealth — Product Manager
27 2618 on April 28, 2016

I just recently launched an app and trying to get my first 1000 users – best practices please ?

• Liked by
  • sasha_lotsatime
Branch Metrics — Developer
10 on April 28, 2016

If you’re on the Play Store, chances are you’ll get lots of unsolicited emails from companies trying to help you out. Respond to one of them! 😀

on April 28, 2016

Someone told me most of those users are “bought” – incentivized to download and install the app. They may not be our intended audience and mostly will not stick to the app. 

Slice / Unroll.me — Marketer
on May 5, 2016

Try to use free channels like product hunt, hacker news etc.. This way you will reach out early adopters and if they like your product then they will spread the word for you. Also don’t forget to add viral loops and feedback loops in your app. 

on May 5, 2016

@Emreertan : Thanks ya PH, HN are good sources. 

What has worked with us in the past is the following

Pre-Launch: People under-estimate this but hustling a beta user list of 200-300 users while product is getting really helpful. You can engage them via Google Group or Facebook Closed private group and share screenshots, ideas, design conflicts team is facing for opinion and engagement and run small pre-contests. 

Things like your branded T shirts, free beer, or branded merch helps. 

Launch: I In the first 1 hour we hustle to get 20-25 friends to download and give it amazing rating. 

Then we reach out to our network –  we draft very nice emails for everyone in team to send to all their gmail contacts, make nice social media posts, try to hustle every social channel and relationship we have from family to once met acquintances to get the word out. 

Normally this + Beta users result in close to 250 downloads on day 1. and then we do this “hustle” for a week till we have 1000 downloads and 50+ ratings and then try and hit PH, HN, etc. 

What do you guys think…any other hacks ?

Micro Cube — Sales
on May 23, 2016

Haha Marshal, so glad those unsolicited emails are working for someone

Micro Cube — Sales
on May 23, 2016

@Rish I can’t speak for any specific companies, but in general a “bought” user wouldn’t have to be incentivized. If you’re paying a very low CPI for incentivized installs they definitely will not the long term users you seek. Still, can have a place in terms of getting you that boost for the app store ranking. Most companies that offer that also would offer non-incentivized real users from more targeted paid campaigns, at a considerably higher CPI.

on May 23, 2016

So what you are saying is: 

Paid Installs to non-incentized users: Good for long term user base building. 

Incentivized user downalods in bulk: Good for low-cost install boost to feature in app stores or to get PR numbers. So in effect use it as a step and not as an end result and track the two numbers separately?

That makes a lot of sense. 

Micro Cube — Sales
on May 23, 2016

Yes exactly, quality users can be acquired by paid campaigns, where as incentivized work as you say, as a step toward more organic installs

on May 23, 2016

@Colleen : Thanks – what are some of the other strategies. Would love your input on another question in the community. Would you have any inputs on these: 

Scaling concerns when growing from 10k users to 100k and 1 million users?

Micro Cube — Sales
on May 23, 2016

@Rish actually I’m in UA myself, I don’t know much about scaling from the perspective of infrastructure or anything. My input would just be, let us help you get to 1 million 😉

KaCyber — Developer
on July 25, 2016

If you’re on the Play Store, chances are you’ll get lots of unsolicited emails from companies trying to help you out. Respond to one of them! 😀

From themarshal99

@themarshal99, could you recommend some few companies that can help us capture a great number of app users on iOS and Android? We’re developing an app for lifestyle (IM and lifestyle). I just learnt from the blog and feel am too much behind the schedule.

Our release is scheduled for 20th this August. Anyone or company able to provide me with the service of capturing users can send me email: inno (at) peoplenetsec.com or info (at) kacyber.com

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
Partiko — Marketer
2 on May 5, 2016

Hey! I will share my personal experience with Partiko. 
We have around 20000 Downloads and we got starting 1000 Downloads in just 1 month.

Just follow following Strategy:
-Launch a beta version and ask all your friends,relatives and family members to use that as personal network gives a decent push in starting.

-Submit your app to different testers and magzines.

-You can also run College Ambassador Programs to get decent reach. We personally did the same, and succeeded. 

-ASO is vital too! We are an event discovery platform thats why we went for keywords and phrases like ” Events in Delhi”, “Delhi Events” , “Events in Delhi NCR” and so on which helped us to get some organic downloads as well.

App Link: http://bitly.com/partiko

If you want, I can help you out with the strategy making as well. You can reach me at [email protected] 

Branch — Developer
on May 5, 2016

I worked on a team where we did literally these exact steps, and nothing ever stuck. Even with Branch social invite features and deep linking.

Do you think there were specific engagement loops within Partiko that made this work well for you guys?

Partiko — Marketer
on May 6, 2016

Actually there were. Apart from the personal network thing, we ran various engagement ground campaigns with college students. And it was a bigger achievement for us as we hardly spent $1 to get 10 Downloads.
We ran a similar campaign in December, and we got more than 10000 Downloads with more than 3000 coming on last 3 Days of the year i.e. New Year time (Best for Nightlife Activities)

(I wanted to upload the graphs from play store account but not able to post here) 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
Skyjet — Product Manager
1 on May 8, 2016

The best advice I can offer is to “growth hack” your existing communication with your clients. Think confirmation emails, confirmation screens, social media, customer service phone lines, etc.

on May 8, 2016

What tools do you use to track these ?

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
Skyjet — Product Manager
1 on May 8, 2016

I use Kochava for attribution and I also use Branch’s marketing links

on May 8, 2016

That’s great to know – I was struggling with crm like insightly and a combination of mixpanel, mailchimp and ga for the same

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on May 20, 2016

This is from the Meetup at Yahoo office in San Francisco on Growth with Growth and product leads from Duolingo, 8tracks, Profilic 

How to acquire first 1,000 users?

• PR: reaching out to press. The article *has* to have a link to your site or else it didn’t happen
  • Exclusive beta
  • Facebook ads
  • Featured by the app store: find out the category manager & involve them in the development; use their most recently released features in your app
  • Keywords in your app store description

Read more here: https://mobilegrowth.org/discussions/thread/may-18-2016-mobile-growth-sf/

• Liked by
Cancel
TestingCatalog — Other
1 on June 1, 2016

Don’t forget about beta testing. Play Market has a straightforward beta testing process: FAQ
In this case, your beta testers will become your first users and you will get early feedback from them.
There are several different places, where you can get beta testers, such as http://www.testingcatalog.com, which is integrated with a big community of beta testers in google+

Other
on June 20, 2016

I second this. Beta testing is awesome especially for games.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
Pyze — Developer
1 on June 14, 2016

Although gaining users is important, retaining those users is arguably much more essential to your app’s success. If you gain 1000 users, but don’t have any strategies implemented to retain those users, they will bounce and you’ll lose them all. A company called Pyze offers a free tool to put your app’s growth on auto-pilot and helps you retain users more efficiently. 

Check out their free tool at http://pyze.com.

Mobile Growth Community — Product Manager
on July 25, 2016

Hi Daniel,

What are some of the retention methods that Pyze implements?

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
TheTool — Marketer
0 on February 20, 2017

Do ASO, please 🙂

• Liked by
Cancel
appstudios — Developer
0 on March 19, 2017

In addition to those great tip, you can buy Android US Keyword install and reviews install, i personally use this service KeyApp.top – Android keywords promotion

keyword anstall are the best for boosting you app or game rank on google play 🙂

you get can install for a very low price (0.09 per install;), both standard and high retention installs.
Good luck all with you promotion !

• Liked by
Cancel
ASOTOP1 — Other
0 on July 3, 2017

Hi friends, here are some methods about how to get more downloads of your app.

• Ensure the quality 

Only high quality app can finally obtain and retain users, nobody will use a app with poor function. So fix the bugs, update version and make sure your app is a good one which worth to own. 

• Ask your friends and relatives help

Ask they download your app and write positive reviews for your app, and they can advertise your app to their friends, this methods will help you get some downloads to a certain degree. 

• Exchange install

Create or join in some communities which full of app developers, in there, you can download each others app, this will take a long time and a lot of energy. But it is useful and it is also a free method.

• Advertise

This can be divided into two part, one is online advertisement, the other is off line advertisement.

Online – cooperate with some website celebrities, they have lots of loyal fans, if they can recommend your app to their friends, it can increase the downloads.

Offline – make a short video, and play it in the people-crowd places, get more people know your app and potential users will download it.

• Social media

Establish some social media accounts in Facebook, Twitter, Ins. Write some attractive stories about your app, interact with potential users, make they are interesting in your app.

• App store optimization

App Store Optimization can help boost your app ranking in the app store, and make more people see your app and download it. Here are some tips about how to do it.

Title – choose a right name for your app, and put core keywords in the subtitle.
Icon – make an attractive icon that can catch users eye and have a deep impression.
Keywords – choose right keywords which fit for your app’s field, and choose the words can be searched easier in the app store.
Reviews and Ratings – get more positive reviews and high ratings help get more installs, too.
Description – introducing the advantages of your app in this part with short sentences, also can put the information about your companies.

App Store Optimization plays a vital role in getting more installs. But it is a complicated thing. You can do it by yourself, if you have enough budget, you can choose a reliable company, I recommend you ASOTOP1 which can provide professional service, and get installs from real users. Get more installs can help boost your app store ranking. And finally get installs for your app organically.

• Liked by
Cancel
ASOTOP1 — Marketer
0 on August 7, 2017

Hi there, based on my experience and your situation, follow the 2 steps to get your first 1000 users.

Boost App  Ranking

One of the most efficient ways to get app users – because about 63% of app users prefer to download an apps by searching keywords in the app stores, most of them just browsing top 20(even less) apps, then the higher the ranking in the app store is, the easier the number of app downloads increases.

For a new app, you can target keywords with low competition and lower search volumes firstly, of course, the keywords must be relavated to your app. You should add the important keyword in your app title ,which can boost your app ranking by 10.3%. Add 8~12 keywords in description are also beneficial to boost app ranking.

One more efficient way to boost app ranking – buy keyword search installs, which can boost your app ranking in 8~10 hours, highly recommend.

Buy App Reviews  – Increase the Download Rates

Data shows that about 95% users will take the app reviews as one of the most important reference factors to judge the app, and most people prefer to download an app which has much more positive reviews, especially for a new app.  Besides, 88% users trust reviews as much as personal recommendations, and 80% users have changed their minds about a downloading an app based solely on the negative reviews they read.

Besides, 88% users trust reviews as much as personal recommendations, and 80% users have changed their minds about a downloading an app based solely on the negative reviews they read.

For a new app, because of the few users,it’s hard to get review from users. Then buy app reviews is a good choice to gather reviews. But if you buy fake reviews, there is a great chance that your app will be removed from the app stores, even worse, your account may be banned.

So if you want to buy app reviews, choose a reliable review provider is very important. Bestreviewapp is a good choice, which can guarantee that all the reviews are from real users, and support multiple countries for you to choose from. Get your apps targeted precisely.

Hope these methods are useful to u.

• Liked by
Cancel
Loading more replies
Mobile Growth Discussions is shutting down — please visit the Branch ExpertHub to continue the conversation!
+ +